The Passion

I was recently reflecting on the Passion of Jesus and what aspects of His suffering stood out to me. I couldn't help but think that God was speaking through every word and person there, to us now. Through the seven last words of Jesus, God speaks to us of who He is and what He calls us to.
  1. "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do." (Luke 23:34)- Mercy

  2. "Amen, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise." (Luke 23:43)- Conversion

 3. "Woman behold your son, Son, behold, your mother!" (John 19:26-27)- Devotion to Mary and honoring of women

 4. "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" (Matthew 27:46)- Crying out to the Father in suffering

 5. "I thirst!" (John 19:28)- Loving until the point of thirst 

 6. "It is finished!" (John 19:30)- He finishes and wins our battles

 7. "Father, into your hands I commend my spirit." (Luke 23:46)- Offering ourselves up to the Father in trust


More than anything, Jesus loved the people in His life. "He loved His own who were in the world, and He loved them until the end." The last three people that were with Jesus in His Passion show us who He loved and how they loved Him.

  •  Mary the Mother of God- A woman, His loving, faithful Mother that was always obedient even in times of confusion.
  •  Mary Magdalene- A woman that was once a sinner, resurrected by Jesus' mercy. A woman He upheld even when others despised Him for doing so. 
  •  John the beloved- A young man that was not just a disciple, but a beloved friend of Jesus, not because of his works but because of his love. 

          

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Limbo"

Empty Spaces